I begin this blog on Day 10 of the Rebuild Cleanse, one of two types of detoxification programs designed by author, cardiologist, and founder of the The Clean Program, Dr. Alejandro Junger.
But here I am at Day 10, with eleven days to go, and I already feel like a different person. Before I explain what is different, though, I need to give you a little background so you know how I got from point A to point B.
AJ, at 47
But we were writing checks in the kitchen that our bodies couldn't cash. And by hysterectomy time, I had a feeling my health was in some trouble. I was foolish to think getting the hysterectomy would fix all that. In fact, the surgery set off the timer to the ticking time bomb in my body.
After the surgery, the aches and pains and the "etc. etc." became more prominent than ever. My recovery took almost an entire month. That may be normal for most post-op chicks, but I've always bounced back from anything quicker than most.
Then, one month to the day after my hysterectomy, I caught a horrible bug. Bronchitis, sinus infection, ear infections. And I had this mess for almost SIX WEEKS. As soon as that was over, I got another sinus infection, followed by an ear infection. I went through a round of powerful antibiotics, and that floored me because I managed to go years without needing antibiotics.
Everything hurt. I saw a strange face in my mirror every morning--a woman with dark circles under her eyes, too much weight on her face (and the rest of her body!); a tired, aging woman. My hair was dull, my skin was dry and itchy, and I wasn't sleeping well.
What is wrong with me?
I told Dan I desperately needed to do something because I was getting worse by the day. I had another ear ache coming and I was still coughing from my bout with bronchitis. I went to the most powerful tool available to us: the internet; and began my quest for answers.
I researched: poor health; chronic fatigue syndrome; sleep problems; dry skin; weight problems; joint pain; aging … and some of these things led me to other issues: food allergies; detoxification … which led me to: cleansing; elimination diets. And finally, through a kind of stream of internet consciousness, I found the Clean Program website.
Oh, boy, here we go. Another spin doctor with health claims and … what's this? A BOOK? Now, THERE'S a shocker! (I worked in the book publishing industry for a long time, so I have a teensy bit of cynicism about every Dr. Tom, Dick, and Harry who writes a book and slaps it on their fancy website.)
I gave Dr. Junger a chance though because of the name of his book: Clean. Now, that's a great title for a health book. I watched a couple of the videos about him--about how he himself was sick of being sick and traveled the world in search of answers to why he felt that way. I started to appreciate this guy because I wasn't in a position to globe trot around to look for alternate NON-MEDICAL ways to improve my health. He did all the fancy footwork, and I merely gleaned from his adventures. It made me feel a little guilty for my initial reaction: that he was just another opportunistic crackpot health author releasing his wackdoodlery upon a public that should know better by now.
So, I researched further, and I found dozens and then hundreds of online testimonials about the Clean Program and how it changed lives. I spent a couple of weeks really digging for information about Dr. Junger and the program, and I couldn't find anything negative about either (amazing, considering the internet is crawling with idiots who have nothing better to do than sit around and complain to the masses).
I looked over Dr. Junger's website, top to bottom. I read about every product he sells, looked at every ingredient of his products, watched every video I could find, and everything Dr. Junger talked about just reinforced everything Dan and I have been learning over the last seven years.
The next thing I did was buy Dr. Junger's book, Clean. I read the first four chapters and went back to his website and ordered the Rebuild Cleanse. There is also a Renew Cleanse--both are 21-day programs--but Rebuild is a more serious "reset" for the system. That's exactly what I needed. I shelled out $425 and waited for my Sea Monkeys to arrive. :)
Thursday, January 27: Day 1
The schedule worried me at first. My pre-cleanse habits were awful. I ate at odd hours and didn't pay much attention to how much time lapsed between my last meal of the day and breakfast the next morning. I'd eat dinner at 9:30pm and then eat breakfast at 6am. I didn't know how I'd handle leaving twelve hours open between the two meals. But it wasn't a big deal.
And that's why I didn't think I needed to blog about the experience, because I figured my pre-cleanse diet and habits weren't … horrible. Surely not as bad as most people. I hoped I would see some improvement in my health, but, like I said before, I didn't expect anything spectacular.
And here we are …
Back to the Beginning
It is Day 10 of my cleanse and I feel … WOW! Allow me, please, to gush because I still have 11 days to go and I can't even imagine how much better I'll feel at the end of 11 days. Here is what I've experienced:
- Around Day 4, I woke up and noticed something strange: I can breathe out of both my nostrils! The crazy thing is that I never noticed before that I couldn't breathe through my nose. I noticed some general stuffiness in the past and used a neti pot to clean out my sinuses, but they never fully cleared, even though huge amounts of stuff evacuated my head! I swear, a couple of times I saw things that looked like they had their own central nervous system. I was thinking conjoined twin? I never knew I had a chronic case of sinusitis. It was a health issue that crept up on me over the years and I can't remember the last time I could breathe normally. But now, since Day 4, I have had completely clear sinuses.
- Also around Day 4, I noticed that I didn't have to take over-the-counter allergy meds. I used pills and eye drops daily to combat red, itchy eyes and sneezing. I haven't used anything for allergies since Day 4, because I don't have allergy symptoms anymore.
- Around Day 5, I noticed my skin was softer. The skin on my legs and body is normally like an alligator hide (a slight exaggeration, unless you're Dan and I rubbed my leg against you under the covers at night!). I've used coconut oil on my skin for about a year, and that's helped a lot, but five days into the cleanse, and I was shocked at the softness of my skin in places that were previously without hope of cure.
- My hair has always been great, but it's been dull and sort of limp for a long time. Around Day 5, I noticed my hair is like it was when I was in my 20s and 30s.
- Day 5, I noticed when I get up in the morning, I don't have to wobble to the bathroom. I didn't realize how much pain I was in first thing in the morning until I didn't feel that pain anymore. I have ZERO joint pain anywhere in my body.
- From about Day 5 on, I noticed I have so much energy I can't sit still. (Today, on Day 10 of the cleanse, I did a Zumba class!)
- My fingernails have grown a lot faster in the last week, and they're stronger than they were.
- My face blows me a away. My dark circles are nearly gone and my skin glows. It's like skin I had in my 20s.
- I've lost 6.8 pounds so far.
- I've had no hunger pangs, no cravings, no incidents of going off program (except two days ago I ate some grilled shrimp, thinking it was okay, but I found out later that shellfish is a no-no).
I'm going to chronicle this thing to the end. I can't wait to see what happens in the next eleven days. If there is anyone out there reading this, and you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, here's what I recommend:
- Read Clean by Dr. Alejandro Junger. You'll learn so much about what's in your environment that is slowly killing you and what you can do about it.
- Take Dr. Junger's advice, and go through your house and refrigerator and get rid of the things that are toxic and dangerous (shampoos, dryer sheets, bleach, household cleaners, etc.) and replace them with products that are safe. Look for products with SLS (Sodium Laureth Sulfate or Sodium Lauryl Sulfate). If you see these ingredients in any of your personal care products, throw it away. Here's why. Here are some sites with great products that you may be able to find in some of your local health stores:
- Jason products at MotherNature.com or directly at the Jason site. Jason has everything from personal care products like body wash and shampoo to household products.
- Swanson Health Products has great deals on vitamin supplements and other products like fish oils (it's about half the price from Swanson as opposed to our local health food store).
- Likewise, go through your cabinets and refrigerator and get rid of packaged, pre-prepared, high-sodium, high-fat foods. Fill your fridge with fresh, organic vegetables and fruits. Fill your cabinets with raw nuts and seeds, healthy grains. Stop drinking tap water (you do not want to know what's in there). Buy a water filter or buy water bottled in GLASS bottles. Stop buying meat that's wrapped in styrofoam and plastic. You can get better meat, wrapped in butcher paper, from the deli department.
- Stop using plastic to cook (microwave) or store food. See #7 on this list.
- Visit the Clean Program website at http://www.cleanprogram.com/ and find the cleanse that is best for you. Renew if you need a little nudge. Rebuild if you need a big shove. Do the math in your head and you'll see that the cost of the program is less than all the prescription drugs you may be taking, or equal to the cost of the over-the-counter remedies you have to take to ward off all your ailments.
- Join a gym, your local YMCA, Curves (for women), or any kind of fitness program that will get you off your butt and moving.
- Find resources online that will help you learn more about your body, your health, your environment, and everything you can do to reverse the aging process and live a longer, healthier life. Here are some of our favorites:
- Wellness physician, Josh Axe - this guy saved his mother's life (breast cancer and lung cancer) with knowledge he shares with everyone through his books, radio program, and speaking tours (you'll pardon me for saying, but this dude is easy on the eyes too).
- Dr. Michael F. Roizen - say what you will about the tenets of shameless self-promotion (I know I complain about it enough) but this man, founder of RealAge and co-author with Dr. Mehmet Oz of the best-selling You series, has some great advice.
- Health Ranger, Mike Adams, author of Natural News. It's an exhaustive resource about examining all the people and products they endorse.
- Stop making excuses for your bad health. Do something about it.
More soon on the next 11 days! Here's to great health - for a long time,